Thursday

Insomnia

Still with insomnia. The warm milk trick didn't work this time. Obviously, nothing productive can be accomplished in this insomnia time. It took me 3 trials before getting to access my gmail account. I'm not even sure how safe it is to write under these conditions (why am I writing in English, to start with?)

I had a ridiculously long meeting today. Even more, I had a ridiculously long day. I spent more than a few hours fixing one "bug" on someone else's code, which was causing the whole Muon Monitoring system to crash.

To be honest, I don't mind taking extra responsibilities, AND I like fixing bugs.. it's rather exciting.. I don't even mind spending some hours on it.. except, well except when the "bug" is the simplest thing on earth, then all the excitement becomes frustration for not being able to see the problem before, and my self esteem goes down quite badly. Today, it was not so bad, even though the solution was simple, it was by no means my fault, and I still got to solve it in time, I hope. Besides, at least I'm proving myself to be capable of assuming certain responsibilities. Or so I like to believe.

Still, my ego is slightly harmed, because all my initial explanations and fixes were correct, but not sufficient to solve the (memory usage) problem. In the end, it took someone else to point out that possibly the finely binned histograms were taking up too much memory. And so it was. Still, it was me making the changes, testing the version, submitting a tag, and getting this tag collected for the latest release to be used at Tier 0. By the way, this last line should give you and idea on how "subtle" things are when it comes to software development in ATLAS.

According to him, 6 years later, and you're still having trouble with it. According to him. By the way, I was told he speaks nicely, but... What is that suppose to mean? Hm. OK. The office is right there, I can go and ask questions.... "so, how can I modify the master slide in Power Point?" that sounds like a good question... or does it?

I comes to my attention that it's raining right now. It was not raining at 10 PM when I came back from CERN (by no means I was done with the work... but decided I could go home and continue there... or here, I should say here.)

OK. I'm officially writing nonsense. I should stop.

No comments: